Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Snap peas, green beans, yellow plums, goji's and blackberries

The blackberries are plump and luscious - the bicycle-ground whole wheat spelt pies are scrumptious.  Julie's plums from the north of the island are cooking down now into homemade jam.  There's straight up unsweetened yellow plum, unsweetened plum-pear-apple-blackberry, and Peace River honey sweetened plum-pear-apple-blackberry.

I use the open kettle evaporation method for my spreads, jams, and preserves as I don't like fiddling with pectin, even Pomona's Pectin which I find doesn't hold well in the long term.  Using minimal sweetening, I can stir ever so often and watch for exactly the right consistency that I like.

My jams, fruit butters and juices are lined up neatly on the shelves of the farm's commercial kitchen so that on farm tour day, Sunday, Sept. 30th, they'll be ready to sell.  The South Ridge Farm  crew will be demonstrating the grinding of our famous bicycle-ground flour and doing tastings of nettle chai, nettle mint, and happy heart tea and showing people how to brew it from picking of the nettle to sitting down with a cup!  Our signature Vegan Nettle Chai Spelt Chocolate Cakes and Cookies will be on sale, along with nettle quiches - yum again.

Off to stir the jams...

No comments:

Post a Comment